High-Rate Underage Users Workgroup (HRUU)
The High-Rate Underage Users (HRUU) Workgroup was formed to address high risk AOD use patterns observed in California Student Surveys. Objectives of the HRUU Workgroup are to:
- Summarize trends in different levels and types of substance use in California, and implications for meeting the prevention/intervention needs of students;
- Identify the characteristics of high-rate alcohol users and high-rate drug users, and to assess the overlap of these groups;
- Estimate the percentage of students whose level of use and related problems indicate they are in need of focused indicated prevention interventions in California schools (primarily secondary schools);
- Promote Student Assistance Programs (SAPs) as an effective school-based intervention for youth with high-risk use patterns;
- Present new information concerning the current use of SAPs in California; and,
- Identify important issues which require consideration in supporting the effective future development or implementation of SAPs in California.
The High-Rate Underage Users Workgroup is chaired by the Department of Education and meets approximately four times a year.