Information, Referral and Electronic Communication
Effective with the passage of the 2013-2014 Budget Act and associated legislation, the Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs (ADP) no longer exists as of July 1, 2013. All ADP programs and staff, except the Office of Problem Gambling, transferred to the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS). Please visit the DHCS website. Read more...
The Resource Center provides non-emergency information only and does not operate a crisis line. The Resource Center maintains two toll-free statewide telephone numbers (1-800-879-2772) and (1-800-662-4357) for California residents needing alcohol, tobacco, and other drug and gambling prevention and treatment information. The Resource Center can also be reached by dialing (9l6) 327-3728.
Telephones are answered between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except state holidays. Persons who call before 8 a.m. or after 4:30 p.m., or on weekends, are requested to leave a voice mail message and calls are returned that day or the following business day.
Callers requesting treatment referral for either themselves or for someone else are given the telephone number to the county alcohol, tobacco, and other drug administrative office in their area of residence.
Through an extension of ADP's home page, the Resource Center maintains a number of electronic communication links. The Resource Center's web site provides easy access to information about the Clearinghouse, Lending, Publication and Videocassette Catalogs, and links to many alcohol, tobacco, and other drug information web sites.
The Resource Center is a member of the Regional Alcohol and Drug Awareness Resource (RADAR) Network and of Substance Abuse Librarians and Information Specialists (SALIS). RADAR and SALIS connect clearinghouses, prevention and treatment resource centers, national, international, and local organizations with special interests in the exchange and dissemination of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug information throughout the United States and abroad.
The Resource Center web site provides easy access to:
- Calendar of Events
- Funding Sources and Requests for Proposal (RFPs) at the Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs
- California State and Other Funding Sources
- Concentrated Alcohol Consumption by Heavy Drinkers: Associated Risks & Costs
- Technical Assistance & Training Resource Directory, publication #4648
- Treatment Works - Where to find help in California communities for alcohol and other drug problems
- Directory of California County Alcohol and Drug Program Administrators, publication, #3487
- California Indicators of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Annual Update
- Community Indicators of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Risk County Prevention Profiles
- Listing of prevention specific internet-based resources - including information on best practices, evaluation, and research-based prevention
- Alphabetical resource index - including links to web addresses of issues and subjects related to alcohol and other drug prevention, treatment, and recovery
- Youth Treatment Guidelines, publication #8566 (August 2002)
- Patterns of Mental Health Service Utilization and Substance Use Among Adults, 2000 and 2001